Who is in the group and what should I know about each of them?
- Kate McGarry – voice
- 5 critically acclaimed CDs
- Grammy nomination for Best Jazz Vocal CD
- Teaches at the Manhattan School of Music
- Scott Sawyer – guitar
- Lecturer of jazz guitar at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Also specializes in Blues, Roots, Funk, and Rock music
- Has played at festivals and concert halls all over the world
- Dave Finucane – tenor saxophone
- Graduated from New England Conservatory
- Teaches saxophone at UNC-CH and jazz improvisation at Duke University
- Director of the Durham Jazz Workshop
- Jason Foureman – bass
- Recieved undergraduate degree from UNC Greensboro and masters degree in Jazz Studies at the University of Louisville
- Bassist for the North Carolina Jazz Repertoire Orchestra
- On faculty at UNC-CH, UNC Wilmington, and NC State
- Dan Davis – drums
- Received a bachelor of music degree from East Carolina University and a master of music degree from North Carolina Central University
- Won the ECU concerto competition in 1988
- Teaches jazz drumset at UNC-CH
What makes the group different from other jazz ensembles?
They are also influenced by genres other than jazz, including rock, country, folk, and pop; and this shows in their music.
What thoughts and emotions do they hope to bring out of their listeners?
Their hope is that the audience can relate to the sincerity of what is happening on stage, rather than being impressed by musical technique or skill.
Where can I hear recordings of the group?
When will they perform next?
A concert schedule can be found on Scott Sawyer’s website.